Alternate Media Guidelines
- Students must be currently registered with Access Resource Center (ARC) in order to request alternate media services.
- Eligibility for alternate media service is determined by the ARC staff and is based upon the professional documentation provided by the student who has "a disability that prevents him/her from using standard instructional materials." This professional documentation is typically submitted by the student upon their initial registration or after testing with ARC.
- Alternate media services must be requested each semester as needed.
- Students must be currently enrolled and/or finishing an incomplete in the course for which they are requesting alternate media services.
- Students requesting textbooks in alternate media must own the material or the material has been purchased on the student’s behalf.
- Once a request is approved, the ARC staff’s recommendation with student preference will be used to determine the specific alternate media format.
- If ARC is converting textbooks and materials to alternate media, those textbooks and materials can be cut for scanning purposes and will be re-bound before being returned to the student.
- Alternate media requests must be submitted as soon as the student learns of his/her need. Requests will be honored in the order that they are received.
- Regarding class handouts, students must initially ask the professor to provide the handouts (including syllabi) on disk, by email, or another electronic format, if available.
- The alternate media material is copyrighted. It may not be reproduced or distributed in any other format. Students will be provided with one alternate media copy for each material required for academic use. Any further reproduction or distribution is considered a copyright infringement. Misuse of this material will result in disciplinary action.
- Alternate media is provided for Monterey Peninsula College curriculum support only. Alternate media will not be provided for personal use.
- Questions regarding alternate media should be addressed directly to the ARC staff.
Introduction To Alternate Media
Ordering Alternate Media
Using Alternate Media
Source: Sonoma State University